Sainsbury's 25% off any 6 bottles of wine offer


Before I go into detail regarding the Sainsbury's 25% off wine offer, here are two of the tactics retailers must avoid if they are to adhere to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

  • Bait advertising - Luring the consumer with promotions of special prices when the trader knows that he cannot offer that product, or only has a few in stock at that price.
  • Bait and switch - Promoting one product with the intention of selling you something else.


Normally, at Christmas, I treat myself to two or three bottles of Cava from Aldi. I usually spend about £6 per bottle and find the cava ok but not great. I decided to see what cava Tesco stock and consider ordering some shopping from them for the first time ever. I found Codorniu Cava Brut and saw it had good reviews. I decided I may as well check the price at Sainsbury's and saw they had a 25% offer on selected wines in six were bought, six of the same or a mix. The price of the cava would have been £5.64 per bottle with this discount, so I decided to really treat myself and order seven bottles to cover me for the whole of Christmas and NYE and any guests who might pop round. I only get one holiday a year - Christmas - so why not? Now, I will show you the comment I left on the Facebook page for Sainsbury's. Bare with me because it's quite a lot to get your head around, but it's worth it!

My comment...

My delivery arrived today just an hour after receiving an email to say that I would be receiving five bottles of Codorniu Cava Brut and not seven as ordered. Under the number 5 was written the amount those five would cost, which was £37.50. That works out to be £7.50 a bottle. On ordering, I took advantage of your well publicised 25% off 'any' wines if ordering six or more with the offer. I ordered ten bottles altogether, seven Codorniu and three different wines. The Codorniu should have been £5.64. My main reason for buying online from Sainsbury's for the first time ever was due to this offer. I had started an order with Tesco but checked your offers on wine and switched. If you were out of stock of the Codorniu then that would be fine to reduce my order and refund me the difference, taking into account the 25% discount. But you are not out of stock. I have just checked and you are in stock. So why was my order reduced? And why was me reduced order then billed without the discount, which I was still entitled to due to having bought eight bottles (5+1+1+1)? Was my order intentionally reduced so that the discount could be removed and you could charge the full price for the wine? I suspect so. I quick Google search shows that other people have experienced the same thing. An article in This is Money in January discussed the exact thing happening to another customer. How many customers have bought from you having seen this offer, only to find the offer has not been honoured? I have made three long phone calls today, taking up valuable time and energy, and come to the conclusion your system is set up to deprive customers of this discount. Most people will not notice the 25% reduction has been cancelled. Most people will assume a big company such as Sainsbury's would have their systems set up so that customers can rest assured, they are not being cheated. Most customers are busy and don’t have the time to check these things. Does Sainsbury's habitually take advantage of this fact? I am absolutely appalled that this has happened and even more appalled that it's been going on for so long. I will be contacting Trading Standards and asking them to consider this as corporate fraud. How many people have been deprived of this offer they were entitled to?

End of Facebook comment.

Here is the snip I made of two computer windows opened side-by-side to prove that my local branch was in stock on the day of delivery. I also checked every other nearby supermarket and they too were in stock. 





I set about searching Google to see if I could find anyone else who had experienced the same disappointment and mistreatment. What I have found has shocked me to the core and enraged me too! The number of accounts I have found of people saying the same thing is unbelievable! But when you consider that the vast majority of people will not take the time to leave a Trustpilot review or to even complain to Sainsbury's, I think we could times the number I found by a few hundred at least to determine the actual number of people affected by this...'mistake'.

Copied from the link below. 'Apparently Sainsburys are not honouring their offer this time. My parents ordered 8 bottles during the offer, for delivery last Thursday (well inside the offer date), they only were offered 4 bottles as stocks were low however also did not offer the wines at the 25% off rate as wanted full price on the receipt, so my parents refused the items. This happened to them last time too. Not good Sainsburys...'

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6035713/sainsbury-s-25-off-wine

 

More evidence at Mumsnet! 

'I ordered six bottles of wine with my grocery order, taking advantage of the 25% off six bottles offer. On the day of delivery two bottles of the same wine were out of stock. The two unavailable bottles were substituted for just one different bottle of wine! This meant I lost the discount and had less wine. I complained to customer services and did not get a response for nine days. After chasing I got a very dismissive response saying I no longer qualified for the offer as I only received five bottles.'

kittybee · 08/04/2021 21:00

Bizarrely I was talking about this very thing to a friend earlier. They’d ordered 6 bottles of wine online with a 25% discount. They were sent 5 bottles only as apparently the 6th bottle was out of stock. They were charged the full price for the 5 they received. Their relative had this happen to them twice. The relative told Sainsbury’s to collect the (in this case) champagne, or give the discount.

 https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/4214435-To-be-cross-with-Sainsburys-customer-services

 

'I ordered six bottles of wine but got five and lost my 25% Sainsbury's discount'

 https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10422745/I-ordered-6-wine-bottles-got-5-lost-Sainsburys-25-deal.html?fbclid=IwAR1QOZ2FvnWetDK7YFqEFPJgEO7rSK8hCutXiv9BWvI4srluAs9AcU9gGUE

 

  From Trustpilot…











































So far, Sainsbury's has said they would give me a refund in vouchers for the missing discount as a 'gesture of goodwill'. They can stick their gesture of goodwill where the sun doesn't shine, said on behalf of all the people they have upset over the last three years! 

This offer has been massively promoted on an infinite number of websites over the last three years at least. A Google search for 'Sainsbury's 25 off wine' brings 955 000 results. How many small wine merchants have been crippled by this offer I wonder? How many people are owed discounts that were not honoured correctly? 

What has happened to me is minor compared to someone who orders from from Sainsbury's every week and has taken up this offer many times for years. It's notable that the Google search for 'Sainsburys 25 off wine trustpilot' did not bring up a single positive review. 

I have spent valuable time on three long and painful phone calls, Facebook comments, emails to HQ, emailing KM Investigates, form-filling at Trading Standards and, now, writing up all the evidence I have found. This is during the week before Christmas! 

I will be sending this blog post to Simon Roberts, the CEO of Sainsbury's. simon.roberts@sainsburys.co.uk 

Hopefully, he will be in touch with an explanation as to why this is happening. 

If you are here because this has happened to you, please leave me a comment.

I will update this post whenever anything comes of it. Please share it.

Updates: after another hour waiting on the phone to Sainsbury's, I have been told that I was charged the correct amount despite the email indicating I would not receive the discount on the five bottles of Codorniu. So, my extra three bottles of other wines, each one included in the offer, saved me from losing out on the discount for the five bottles of Codorniu. This is good news, although it still leaves the mystery of why they said they didn't have enough stock when their website stated they were in stock. It isn't good news for all the people who have lost out on the offer because they did not order other bottles and saw their eventual delivery reduced to less than six bottles. Or the people whose wine was substituted with other wines that were not part of the offer and who then ended up paying full price for all of their wine because the offer bottles was reduced to less than six. Something needs to be done to ensure a reduced number of bottles or substituted non-offer bottles does not result in a loss of discount. There needs to be a pledge to honour the discount even if less bottles are delivered and even if wines and swapped. Imagine if a customer saw a big sign saying, '25% off these wines if you buy six or more' only to find there are only five left. Would the customer proceed to buy the five bottles despite knowing they would pay full price? No, of course not! Sainsbury's shouldn't make this offer if it's unable to honour it. If it's not possible to always honour it online, it should either pledge to offer the discount on fewer than six bottles or on substituted bottles, or limit the offer to in-store purchases only. 

I was the lucky one but I will keep at this for all the customers who weren't so lucky. 

UPDATE: A response from Sainsbury's Executive Office...

Sainbury's: 'With regards to rectifying the issue we are working very hard to make sure that this doesn't affect any of our customers in the future. These are mistakes we are aware of, and we sincerely apologise to our customers that have been impacted by this. With regards to honouring the deal if that hasn't happened, we would encourage our customers to reach out so we can come to a satisfactory resolution for them.'

My reply: Your computer systems should be set up so customers do not need to chase you for discounts promised. Chasing you involves hour long waits to speak to people in India who do not speak English very clearly and who, in my experience, are prone to disconnecting calls for no reason.

Sainsbury's: I don't have that information at the moment. It is being worked on. I will let you know when a fix has been made.

UPDATE: New price promise on substitutions and special offers... HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment